Alterations of jejunal microvilli Electron microscopy of jejunal mucosa (× 10,000, magnification): (A) Microvilli from healthy controls; (B). Elongated microvilli described in animals with compensated cirrhosis [13,14]; (C). Elongated microvilli with degenerative lesions of membranes from ascitic cirrhotic rats (CI group); (D). Elongation and fusion of microvilli was found in 40% of untreated rats with ascitic cirrhosis (CI); (E) and (F) atrophy of microvilli was found in the remaining 60% of this group (CI). However, atrophy microvilli were not found in CI+IGF group (see (G) and (H)). Effect of IGF-I on microvilli in ascitic cirrhotic rats (CI+IGF group) (× 10,000, magnification): (G), area with mild elongated microvilli, and (H), quite normal epithelium instead of atrophy. Arrows show the increased density in actin microfilaments at the side of connection with the intermediate filaments network in microvilli from treated cirrhotic rats. Thus, the described alterations in untreated rats with ascitic cirrhosis (C, D, E and F) were partially improved by IGF-I treatment (G and H).